Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Viewfinder - where are those 95%?

btbschwarz

DE
74 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
btbschwarz Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Registered since 20th Jan 2009
Wed 25-Feb-09 05:45 PM

Hello to the D700-Community,
while still getting acquainted with my almost brandnew D700 I noticed that unwanted objects, that I had tried to exclude, keep showing up in my images. Before buying the camera I had read the reviews and knew that the coverage of the Viewfinder was "only" 95%. But those additional 5% seemed ...
1)... not to be evenly distributed on all sides and ...
2)... felt like much more than 5%.
So I reread the manual and quickly found the explanation for (2).
OK, 95% horizontal + 95% vertikal means 90% coverage in total - understood and no problem.
To quantify (1) I took a closeup picture of a sheet of millimeter paper and compared the Viewfinder-coverage (indicated as black rectangele) to the picture-coverage.
The horizontal 5% (5,5% to be exact) are (roughly) distributed 2/3 to the left and 1/3 to the right side.
The vertical 5% (5,5%) are (roughly) distributed 2/3 to the top and 1/3 to the bottom.

Test repeated twice with different lenses - same result.

Now that I know this, it should be no big problem to compensate for this - and I'm no less happy with the camera. Even guns have to be tested and calibrated - right?

What I am curious about is, if anybody else made similar findings?
Or is it sample-specific, where the 5% show up?

Greetings
Bernhard

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Viewfinder - where are those 95%?

G