Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What lens to use with D700 for walk-around purposes?

Bob32

Chico, US
5860 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2007
Wed 18-Feb-09 06:46 AM

Hi, guys!

I own a D200 which has served me well, but I am now seriously considering purchase of a D700, largely because of its low noise characteristics under high ISO conditions where I do a lot of my photography. One of my unresolved issues is what lens I would use with it for walk-around purposes. I really like the 18-70 I have been using with my D200, but I would not want to use that DX lens with a D700. I would normally consider the 24-120 VR as a good candidate, but it seems to be universally panned as one of the poorest lenses Nikon has ever produced. Therefore, I am now considering the 24-85 f/2.8-4 which appears to be a better performer.

I'd appreciate feedback from any of my fellow Nikonians as to whether the 24-85 would, based upon their experience, be a good bet. By the way, with a D700 I would plan on continuing to use my 50 mm. and 85 mm. f/1.8 lenses as well as my 70-300 VR lens that I have obtained since purchasing the D200.

I suspect that some may suggest that I get a 24-70 f/2.8 zoom for walk-around purposes. I'm sure that that is a very fine lens, but I do not find much attraction to those big heavy expensive f/2.8 beasties that the pros lug around. My 70-300 is a bit of a beastie, but at least it's a relatively light weight beastie with a much more digestible price tag.

Bob B.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What lens to use with D700 for walk-around purposes...

G