Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is the 95% viewfinder issue a storm in a tea cup?

Noel Holland

UK
2177 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Noel Holland Platinum Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Charter Member
Fri 18-Jul-08 09:12 AM

OK,

Maybe it's me but I've sensed a group of posters who have a strong opinion about the D700's viewfinder size. But let's take a step back and consider what it really means in practice.

The D700 has a sensor of 36mm x 23.9mm and 4,256pxl x 2832pxl. This generates an image with an area of 860.4 mm² or 12,052,992pxl²

So a 95% viewfinder allows you to view an area of 817.4mm² or 11,450,342pxl².

This in turn dictates the dimensions of the visible area as being, 35.1mm x 23.3mm or 4,148pxl x 2,760pxl.

So the lost view on each side? 54pxl (0.45mm) on each side of the long dimension and 36pxl(0.3mm) on each side of the short dimension.

Given those figures, please indicate via the poll whether you REALLY think this issue is such a deal breaker for the D700.

Poll result (63 votes)
100% - I won't buy ANYTHING that doesn't have a 100% viewfinder. I need that extra clarity of composition.
(5 votes)Vote
95% - Yes, I'd really would have liked the D700 to have had 100% but 95% is not really a big issue and I have more pressing concerns than that.
(58 votes)Vote

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is the 95% viewfinder issue a storm in a tea cup?
Reply message Poll
Reply message RE: Poll

G