Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Secondlaw

US
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Secondlaw Registered since 01st Dec 2008
Thu 12-Feb-09 01:17 PM

Hi everyone. I have a question regarding a first communion event. Before I ask, I'll explain what I've been doing with my photo gear...

I have been shooting youth football games and cheerleading. Of course I always wind up putting most of my effort into where the action is. That being said, my eyes always seem to shoot the kid with the ball in his hand. If I shoot 200 photo's at a game, I might get 20 shots that I'm somewhat satisfied with. The parents love even the crappiest of photo's. I'll never understand that.

Anyhow, I put this photo's in a book and started selling the 4*6's for $1.00 a piece. I took 1/2 of all proceeds and donated them back to Pop-Warner football for my town. Everybody wins here.

A parent contacted me and asked me what I would charge to do a communion. Uhhhhh. I take quite a few pictures of my own kids and I'm sure I can take photo's of hers the problem is that my time isn't going to be free and the proceeds aren't going to be donated. Do I offer to put her kid on a CD and give her a CD of low res pictures and let her get back to me with what she wants? Do I go to the park and take portraits of the kid and the family next to pretty flowers? I know I will have to visit the church prior to the ceremony to see what type of rules they have for photographers as well as study the lighting to prepare myself.

Do I offer her a deal whereas she gets a few other parents to assist in paying for my time and in return I take freelance photo's of 3 kids instead of 1?

What other recommendations could you make? I'd like to know what to charge for my time, post processing, prints.

I own a D300/D700, 80 1.8, 60 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 11-16 2.8.

I'm sure I can product some quality stuff but I don't want to rip her off and I'd of course not like to rip myself off. I'd like to be very reasonable being this is my first "pro" event and would like for her to spread the word.

Thanks a bunch!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G