Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Iceland 2013 Travel Coordination

Mike_Hagen

Gig Harbor, US
148 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Mike_Hagen Administrator Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 13th Dec 2006
Mon 04-Mar-13 07:01 PM

Hi Iceland travelers. We'll use this forum to coordinate our trip scheduled for July 29 - August 6th, 2013.

1. Arrival/Departure. The official trip begins on July 29th with our arrival. The plan is to arrive sometime this day, then transfer to the hotel. We then depart the morning of July 30th for our photo adventure in our private vehicles. When we arrive at the hotel, we will have a local representative meet us at the airport, then we will drive to our guesthouse in Reykjavik where we have dinner and overnight accommodations. I am flying to Iceland a few days early and will already be on the ground when you arrive.

2. Medications/Immunizations. There aren't any significant medications or shots you'll need for entry into Iceland. However, I encourage you to make sure you are up to date on your standard MMR, tetanus, etc. Also, I would encourage you to bring Dramamine or something similar if you are prone to motion sickness. We do have a boat ride (and a tractor ride!) and I just want you to be prepared.

For more information on Iceland medical travel details, check out the CDC website here: <a href="http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/iceland.htm">http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/iceland.htm&lt;/a>

3. Packing/Gear. I encourage you to pack as light as you feel comfortable. Weather is generally cool, with average high temperatures in the 60's and average low temperatures in the 50's. I suggest bringing clothes that you can layer which will allow you to dress warm in the morning, then remove layers as it warms up during the day.

You'll want to bring one large soft-sided roller duffel for clothes, one carry-on pack for your camera gear, and a brief case for your computer. The big roller-duffle bag will be checked luggage. For your camera gear, you'll carry this on the plane. I bring a Gura Gear Kiboko backpack loaded with all my gear. I have discount codes with Gura Gear if you are interested in purchasing one of these for the trip.

Here's the clothing I'll be bringing on the trip.
- Zipoff pants. Cotton. (3 pair)
- Lightweight safari shirts, long sleeves (3 pair)
- Fleece sweater
- Waterproof or GoreTex shell
- Fleece gloves
- Warm hat
- Tennis shoes and/or light weight hiking shoes
- Socks
- Underwear
- T shirts (3 pair)
- Baseball hat/cap
- Sun glasses
- Photo vest
- Bandanna/Scarf

4. Camera Gear. Here's what I'm bringing.
Camera body 1
Camera body 2
Camera body 3
Nikon 200-400mm f4
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8
Nikon 24-70mm f2.8
Nikon 14-24mm f2.8
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Teleconverters 1.4x and 2.0x
Gitzo CF tripod and ball head

At a minimum, I recommend two cameras. You can get by with an SLR and a point and shoot, but you'll be much happier with two SLRs. I'll be bringing something like a D800, D600, D7100.

For lenses, I recommend a minimum of lenses that cover 24mm to 400mm. An easy setup would be something like a 24-70mm and a 80-400mm. These two lenses will cover just about any general situation you come across. If you want to specialize in birds, then you'll need a 600mm f4. The problem with the 600mm f4 is that you have to carry it! It is a beast, but worth it if you can manage the weight.

The 80-400 is a very popular lens to bring on these trips because it is so small. As you already know, it is a slow focuser, but sharp. It performs very well and people get great results with it. My guess is that at least 30% of people on the trips bring this lens.

17-35 or 14-24 lenses are excellent for landscapes. I bring the 14-24 and love having it along.

5. Charging batteries. We will have electricity every night at our hotel, so make sure you bring enough batteries to last you through at least one entire day of shooting.

6. Laptops/Computers/Data. You'll need some way to store and backup your images during the trip. I typically shoot between 8,000 and 12,000 images during my one-week trisp. I recommend bringing at least two 1 TB portable disk drives on the trip. Each night, I download the day's shoot to both drives so my data is backed up in two locations. Then, I reformat my memory cards so they are ready for the next day's shoot. I like to bring a laptop computer to help me manage my photos during the trip. I also use it to communicate with the outside world when possible.

7. Phone/Internet. I encourage you to call your cell phone provider and ask about pre-purchasing an international phone plan for your travel in Iceland. It is fairly easy to get a pre-paid data plan from most of the main mobile providers. You'll need to decide whether or not you want to pay for the service. We will have internet at our first hotel, so you'll be able to communicate with everyone back home when you arrive. I'm working right now to determine if we have internet at all of our sleeping destinations.

Ok, that's it for now. I'll send more information as necessary.

Talk to you soon.

Best regards,

Mike Hagen
Director, Nikonians Academy

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Iceland 2013 Travel Coordination