Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

TSA policy change affects Tripods in carry-on

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Wed 06-Mar-13 01:42 PM | edited Wed 13-Mar-13 06:55 PM by Ned_L

TSA Administrator John Pistole, speaking at a conference in New York announced a major policy change for carry-on items beginning April 25, 2013, which doesn't name tripods themselves, but clearly implies a change in attitude toward them being taken into airplane cabins in the US.

The details of the policy change were detailed in a statement on TSA's website. In the statement on Changes to the Prohibited Items List it says,

"Through TSA’s layered approach to security, and to align more closely with International Civil Aviation Organization standards, effective April 25, 2013 TSA will allow knives that do not lock, and have blades that are 2.36 inches or 6 centimeters or less in length and are less than 1/2 inch in width, novelty-sized and toy bats, billiard cues, ski poles, hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks and two golf clubs as part of their carry-on baggage. This is part of an overall Risk-Based Security approach, which allows Transportation Security Officers to better focus their efforts on finding higher threat items such as explosives."

In forbidding tripods to be carried into the cabin of airplanes, TSA TSO's (Transportation Security Officers) stated they can be used just like hockey sticks and baseball bats, so they can't be taken on the plane. In recent years, many if not most TSA TSO's didn't forbid tripods from going in planes if carried fully inside a carry-on bag, but to say the least, the TSO's were highly inconsistent in making that decision.

This new ruling, that as of April 25, takes the ammunition away from a tripod ban, by permitting billiard cues, ski poles, hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks and two golf clubs.

I would still say that you need to remove spikes from the tripod legs or you will still run afoul of the TSA TSO's.

I will endeavor to interview management officials in the TSA home office in Washington DC about the new ruling and will advise you of their thoughts when I can.

Please note that the Flight Attendants organization have asked for this policy change to be reviewed and reconsidered.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: TSA policy change affects Tripods in carry-on
Reply message RE: TSA Rescinds policy change which could have affecte...

G