Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

The incredible shrinking photograph

AreBee

Inverness, UK
531 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
AreBee Registered since 27th Apr 2008
Mon 23-Jul-12 03:18 PM | edited Mon 23-Jul-12 03:21 PM by AreBee

Now that I have your attention...

I am in the process of revising my website. I would very much like to have photographs that are selected by a user automatically fit their monitor resolution. Unfortunately this allows a user that owns a monitor with high resolution to print larger than a viewer with a low monitor resolution - an opportunity I am loath to provide to unscrupulous users. For this reason, at this time I provide photographs only in small size (1024px wide).

However, there is a problem. As technology marches on, monitor resolution will only increase. If photographers do not increase the size of their photographs on their websites then their photographs will, over time, appear smaller and smaller! The alternative is to increase the photograph's resolution but, as noted above, this is strongly opposed by many.

My question is: for those with a website (and those without but who have an opinion), how will you address this issue?

Rob
www.robbuckle.co.uk

G