Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

6500K equates to pinkish whites?

willil

Portland, US
192 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
willil Registered since 09th Nov 2005
Thu 22-Feb-07 09:17 PM

I just got an eye-one display 2 ($169 at www.adraycamera.com if you're interested) and after figuring out how to calibrate my dell lcd, the whites calibrated at 6500K have a decidedly pink cast. Since I've never seen a calibrated monitor, is this correct? If so, is this what people use for photographs?

I couldn't stand to use the monitor this way and reset it to get a more "white" white. I used the calibrator to measure where I set it, and it came out to 8400K.

The tutorial suggested 5000K and 6500K were industry standards. I'm wondering, why would whites be calibrated to have such color casts to them? Is it just traditional? Or...?

(The dell isn't what I plan to use for photo editing, but it's what's hooked up right now)

Thanks,
Willi

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 6500K equates to pinkish whites?

G