Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Technique for action shots?

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003
Sun 20-Apr-03 06:12 PM

I am trying to understand how focus tracking works. If one is in "action" mode (continuous servo, dynamic AF), once AF is engaged, must one keep the shutter button lightly pressed in order for AF to continue to track the subject? The manual is not clear (at least not to me) on this point. As an alternative, can one keep the AF-ON button pressed to keep focus tracking engaged? I would prefer using the AF-ON button since, for me, keeping the shutter button lightly pressed for action shots is tricky at best. Unfortunately, however, that will not work with the VR lenses. I have the 70-200 VR, and the manual says that the VR function can only be activated by lightly pressing the shutter button. I am really not pleased with that arrangement, but I guess I am stuck with it. I will appreciate any suggestions you may have to help me learn good technique.

I am also confused about another point: I understand that one is supposed to be able to lock focus by lightly pressing the shutter button (I cannot tell from the manual whether pressing the AF-ON button is also supposed to lock focus). However, this does not seem to work. I keep the shutter button pressed, but when I recompose, the camera is refocusing. I understand that focus can be locked with the AF-L, AE-L button, and that is what I will use. But I would like to better understand why the camera does not seem to behave the way I understand it should with regard to focus lock using the shutter button (and AF-ON button). Thanks.

JDT

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G