Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What print size and how to mount?

ZDude

US
537 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZDude Registered since 28th Feb 2007
Tue 02-Jan-07 01:25 PM

Hi,

My hope is that this subject hasn't been beatin to death but I really couldn’t find much on it so here goes…

Now that I have an Epson 3800 and am able to print larger than 8 ½ x 11, my thoughts are turning to how to print and mount them. One of the reasons I got the larger format printer is that I really don’t want to crop a photo if I don’t have to. I mean if one takes the time to frame a shot, it is usually because they wanted the “whole” frame right? I would think this goes for all types of cameras. So it stands to reason (to me at least) that prints should reflect that. But paper and frame sizes do not. For example paper sizes come in 8x10, 11x14, 13x19, 17x22, etc, and frames sizes in 8x10, 9x12, 12x16, 16x20 etc. Now in my rookie mindset  I am using 13x19 and leaving a 1-2” border because I get the “full frame” and the border looks somewhat even. Now if I want to go larger and do the same type of thing I would use 17x24? So this all means custom frames and non standard size prints. Most of my prints aren’t going under glass but I am wondering how this whole size thing works.

So my questions are… What size(s) do find that you use mostly use for prints, and do you leave a border? How do you mount and or frame them? And... well... why??

-----------------------------
I'm a Nikonian with NAS! This will require some explanation to my analyst.

----------------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words! I took a photograph and couldn't think of that many. I guess I'll keep trying!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What print size and how to mount?

G