Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New printer+old brain=needs help!

ZDude

US
537 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZDude Registered since 28th Feb 2007
Wed 16-Jan-08 02:14 PM

Hi all,

Well, I got an Epson 3800 for Christmas, bought some “big” paper, installed drivers, ICC profiles and made a couple of test prints on 8 1/2x11 paper. In a word… UGLY! I’ve read on here and elsewhere about making sure the monitor is calibrated, using the correct color space, and ICC profiles, etc… so I thought I was well informed on the subject, but UGLY! So here is what I did, as I’m hoping someone can spot what’s wrong.

1. loaded a raw photo shot in adobe RGB colorspace into CS2 (set to use Adobe RGB color space ie no box popped up stating the colorspace was different than the working)
2. On screen (calibrated w/ Spyder2 pro @ gamma 2.2) it looked great.
3. Selected print with preview and made sure the following was set.
a. Color Handling = Let Photoshop determine colors
b. Printer profile = Pro38 PGPP (Premium Glossy Photo Paper)
c. Rendering Intent = Relative Colorimetric
d. Black Point Compensation = checked
4. Loaded 3800 with Prem Glossy paper
5. Selected Print with preview – (preview looked very light and de-saturated)
6. Printed it out anyway and UGLY – Very light and de-saturated. I guess the best description would be that it looked like a pale, light version of what was on the screen.

As an experiment instead of selecting “Auto” color profile under the properties > Color Management tab in the printer settings I manually checked the same profile (Pro38PGPP) and the resulting print looked much much better but still lighter and not as “colorful” as it is on my screen. Should I even have to do this?

To put it another way, I get better results from my $150 R320 (using srgb). I somehow don't think it should be like this?

I am hoping someone can spot my mistake. This might also help someone in the future having this issue. Of course I want to get it right before I waste the “big” paper!

Here are some screen shots of what I think are the pertinent settings. HTH

-----------------------------
I'm a Nikonian with NAS! This will require some explanation to my analyst.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

----------------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words! I took a photograph and couldn't think of that many. I guess I'll keep trying!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New printer+old brain=needs help!

G