Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Capture NX and Epson R2400 color management problem (pr

widorgel

NL
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
widorgel Registered since 17th Dec 2006
Sun 17-Dec-06 08:55 PM

I have got this nice equipement, but haven't got the color management right yet. I hope somebody out there can help me out.

I am shooting with a D200. I got my (TFT) monitor profiled with a Spyder, resulting in a somewhat redder images on the screen than the default colors, but nothing very special. I got Nikon Capture NX and work mostly wiht NEF files. Also I got a Epson R2400 printer. However the results from the printer are FAR TOO DARK compared to what I see on my monitor, I guess about 2 stops!

I am working on Windows XP SP2 with latest drivers, all updates etc.

In the Epson printer driver I use the option to switch OFF the color management in the driver, so only NX should be handling color management. In NX I choose the printer profile that matches my paper etc. and have tried different intents. I also used soft proofing, but this is all minor changes in the image on my monitor. As default profile I chose sRGB for the moment.

On screen all looks fine, until I start printing. When I ask for a preview in the printer driver, it already shows me an image that's much darker than the NX application shows. However I am not sure if the preview in the printer driver is fully color managed. The resulting print however is also far too dark. Also yellows seem to have too much red.

When comparing NX with Photoshop CS on my monitor, there is not much of a difference, so it seems to be a printing / driver problem.

I have been wrestling with this issue for some time now, and got my hopes directed towards somebody out there that has experienced the same problem, and more important, has found the cause and solution.

Any ideas? I'd be very thankful for not having to waste any more consumables on test prints...

regards. Gerard.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX and Epson R2400 color management problem

G