Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Printer purchase- I “THINK” I have decided. Maybe!

ZDude

US
537 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZDude Registered since 28th Feb 2007
Mon 27-Nov-06 09:34 PM

My oh my why can't I just go and buy something without researching and nit picking. Impulse shopping certainly sounds like it has its advantages. My wife does it all the time and she seems to like it! She bought this jacket last week and ….. Wait... I’d better be nice, since I want this for a Christmas present!

Anyway, back to my indecisions and purchasing practices. I have managed (somehow) to narrow the printer search to an Epson 2400, 3800, or possibly the 4800. I’ve just been satisfied with Epson so why switch now (although the new HP looks awesome… Aaah …. See, I just can’t help myself). My main criteria are quite simple. One is to have a home printer capable of printing "OMG that looks wonderful" prints for friends and relatives. And two at some point I should try to make some money off all this photo stuff to pay for more photo stuff! Heh! I am leaning strongly towards the 3800 for several reasons. Below are some reasons with questions. Would you please look and let me know if my thought process is correct and possibly answer a question or two if you can?

Being it’s brand new, I’m hoping the design is “refined” as compared to the other Epsons. Does that make sense?

After reading the article at inkjetart.com It's nice to know that the 3800 is able to print longer than 22". 16x24 prints sound REAL nice (imagine the OMG’s I’ll get) and is probably the largest I'd want to print at home (or maybe at all). But, will I need a hack of some sort to get it to print at that size since Epson says only to 22"? Isn’t the size selection based on the drivers?

I like the larger print cartridges and as I understand it this will save money over the ink costs of say the 2400. Will it really? I mean the cost difference between the two is dramatic. Is there any empirical evidence to support this?

The footprint for the 3800 seems right for me as does the 2400. The 4800 is on the verge of "needs it's own room" type of scenario. Does anyone know how much room I will need between it and the wall for the 3800? I need to know if the Playstation 3 can stay in the office!

Epson choose not to include a roll feed on the 3800? As I understand it I believe the benefits of roll paper is to save paper costs and provide for panorama prints. Do I really need a roll feed? Do those who have one use it ALL the time or only on occasion, or not at all? I suppose if I wanted to I could manually cut from a roll if I wanted to save money or do a panorama couldn't I?

Does anyone know when these will be available? I believe the Epson site says after Dec 22 but I see some of you are expecting them this week. Does anyone have one yet? Also, are there any deals under list price out there? Hey, It never hurts to ask!

Thanks for reading, if you made it this far, and helping an indecisive over analyzing Nikonian out!

-----------------------------
I'm a Nikonian with NAS! This will require some explanation to my analyst.

----------------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words! I took a photograph and couldn't think of that many. I guess I'll keep trying!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Printer purchase- I “THINK” I have decided. May...

G