Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Ilford papers - magenta reduction

dfg

Vancouver, CA
1090 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dfg Basic Member
Thu 20-Mar-03 04:56 PM

Based on some good things I read here about Ilford papers, I'm trying a sampler pack.

I have an Epson 1280 printer and PS 7 and I'm following the instructions that came with the Ilford papers. The instructions say I may need to deal with a magenta colour cast by reducing magenta -5 to -7. But how do I do that?

I generally print using "Print with Preview", choose the appropriate paper, and follow Ian Lynon's web site instructions. I choose "Custom" and then "No colour management" in the printer settings. Works fine with Epson papers.

But if I do that, I have no choice in the printer settings to reduce magenta. I printed like this without any adjustment, and things definitely look purple. So, I turned off "no colour management" and moved the magenta slider to -7. I got way, way MORE purple!

I'm confused - do I adjust the magenta within PS first, by moving the magenta/green slider within colour adjustments?

(I'm at work right now and don't have the papers or PS with me, but I think I'm using Classic Pearl - anyway, it's one where they say you "may" need to adjust magenta. And I'm choosing the paper type they suggest as well - "glossy film", I think. And, I soft proof with that profile within PS before I send it to the printer.)

Hope this isn't too esoteric a question - but it's not cheap paper and I'd like to cut down on the trial and error. Thanks

Doug G.

Doug G

G