Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

just trying to start with color management

zach_sundstrom

筑北村, JP
17 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zach_sundstrom Registered since 08th Mar 2006
Thu 13-Apr-06 10:37 PM

So, the past few days I have been looking at color management. My final output is going to be to have my pictures printed through Ezprint.com. But I am a bit confused on where to begin. Here are my questions.

First, when I input my pictures into my camera, what color space on my computer should I be in? I am using a Nikon D70s. When browsing my display options, I noticed that there is an option to have my display calibrated to Nikon sRGB space (I shoot in sRGB). So, when I input my pictures, should I first view them in Nikon sRGB color space or should I use something else.

After this, I do my various editing with a mixed bag of software (Dxo, iphoto, the Gimp, Hugin, but NO photoshop). During the editing process, which color space should I be in?

And then it comes to the final crop for print. AT Ezprint, they are going to send my a couple of photos and an icc profile so that I could do soft proofing. I understand the whole point of soft proofing, but since I am not using photoshop, when soft proofing, could I just temporarly change my monitor setting in the system preferences?

By the way, I am using a 15 inch powerbook, running 10.4. Many thanks.

If there are any beginning articles on the web, I would be glad to know. But I mean beginning, because some of them are just downright confusing

G