Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What's the archival life of a regular 1hr photo print?

Tony B

Eau Claire, US
354 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Tony B Registered since 31st Mar 2002
Fri 31-May-02 01:13 PM

I think I have finally convinced my wife that we "need" a dedicated film scanner and a photo printer. .

My dilemma is which printer. My wife does alot of scrapbooking and will be using the prints for her scrapbooks. With all the hard work she puts into the pages, she doesn't want to have to be replacing pictures every few years if they fade.

Printers I am considering are the Epson C80 and 820. The C80 has longer archival life for prints, but the 820 will give better prints with a shorter lifespan.

How long do regular 1hr photo prints last? If it is within the same timeframe as a print from the Epson 820 I really lose nothing compared to our current process. If prints from the 820 will fade a considerable amount sooner than a regular photo print, I will lean toward the C80.

Also, does anyone know if either of the inks from the C80 or 820 are compatible with the scrapbooking concept of everything needing to be "acid free"? I see no mention of this regarding ink jet prints.

As far as storage, in my wifes scrapbooks, none of the pages or photos are sleeved or covered. All pics are pasted to album pages using acid free archival glue and artsy craftsy cutout litte mattings and acid free pens for artistic decorations... stuff like that. Although they are not covered in plastic, they are sheltered from light in the albums they are in. All other materials are acid free and archival, so should not emit hazerdous chemicals that would degrade a photo print.

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated...

Cheers,

Tony B

G