Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Archival Inks for the Epson 820?

Tony B

Eau Claire, US
354 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Tony B Registered since 31st Mar 2002
Sun 02-Jun-02 04:10 PM

Does anyone use third party archival inks for the epson 820? If so which do you use, and how do you like them.

My wife's scrapbooking hobby is the limiting factor on my getting a new printer. I would like to shoot slide film, but she likes to scrapbook and put prints into albums nice and creatively. Oil and water combination here. I could shoot slides and pay the high printing costs of making prints from slides, or I could continue on with some of the better print films out there for her sake.

I was thinking as an even better option I could get a nice film scanner, and a photo printer for reprints for her, and to make prints from slides. On my budget, a 2700dpi scanner and a $150 printer are my limits. However, the Epson 820 is the best quality in this range, but the fading issues with dye inks won't make my wife too happy when she had to rip apart her scrapbook pages to replace the prints in 3-5 yrs, or that by the time the kids get old enogh to look at them and appreciate them, they have all faded considerably.

Archival inks seem to be an alternative if they fair well. If not, I think I will be continuing my quest for a quality film developer/printer in my area, and spending the high dollars ($0.70-$0.99 per 4x6 print from slides) for prints from slides to please my wife, while I wait for a lower cost archival inkjet printer to come to market. The place I use now uses Fuji Crystal Archive paper (Sam's Club) and the 1hr photo place in town does nice slide reprints and enlargements on their Fuji Frontier machine.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Tony B

G