Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Epson Stylus Photo 820 replacement inks..

Tony B

Eau Claire, US
354 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Tony B Registered since 31st Mar 2002
Sun 04-Aug-02 07:53 PM

Well, just picked up an Epson Stylus Photo 820 yesterday and made my first 4x6 print today on Epson Glossy paper... WOW!

I have to say I never in a million years believed that the prints from the Epson would look anywhere near the original prints. I had Sam's Club scan my prints when I sent the film in for processing, and they post "high resolution" images online, which I then downloaded. The "high res" is only say 1200x1500 res image, but plenty for 250-300dpi 4x6 reprints, or the occasional 8x10.

I have to say I am extremely impressed with the print quality. It acutally looked better, and had more detail than my original prints. I shouldn't have waited for my expensive HP print cartridges to run out before getting this printer.

Anyway, I only printed about 3 total 4x6's and my ink already shows it's about 1/8th empty. If I start printing as much as I think I may now that I am so impressed with the print quality, I am going to rip through ink quite fast.

I am wondering if any of you use third party inks for the 820, and how they have performed. I am not concerned with getting rediculously perfect color matching, but would like reasonably good looking reprints.

What third party inks are you using (if any) and where have you purchased them from?

I see so many places selling ink and/or chip resetters for the 820 cartridges, and I have no idea where to begin looking for third party inks that perform well. I have seen some great prices though from $8.99-$15.99 compared to $20-$24 for oringal Epson inks. If performance is reasonably close between the two, I'd gladly get the third party inks. I have no professional reasons for printing these... only for reprints for friends, family, and the ocassional print to put in my cube at the office...

Cheers,

Tony B.

Cheers,

Tony B

G