Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Print or Contract Out : Epson or Canon?

Will Hunt

San Diego, US
129 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Will Hunt Registered since 20th Nov 2005
Sun 08-Jan-06 11:50 PM

I contract out all my pro work but not for the convinence and only for ink longevity issues and price of ink. I have been printing at home with a Canon 9000 for personal home photos, as I change them so often. Now it has died a lingering death after 3.5 yrs with only a color shift, I have chosen not to replace the head for the $80 + service charge and still have the old technology.

It is so hard to take the time to get my personal shots to the printing shop, then pick up. I have decided to by another printer.

I have looked at Epson and own a Epson R300, but after looking at my friends' Epson R800 have decided to try the new Canon i9900 even though I know it will be replaced soon with a 9 tank Canon printer instead of the 8 tank Canon i9900. The Canon i9000 and Epson R800-R1800 looked close as the same to me. Am I blind or do I still have the Eagle eye?...good question.

The 9 tank Epson 2400 has some obvious better dark or black and white tones,and good color, I think this would have been a good choice. I ended up with the Canon i9900 as I am sitting on 12 tanks of Canon ink and the price of the Canon i9900 on Amazon was $380 delivered, compaired to the $800 Amazon price for the 9 tank Epson 2400. The Canon i8500 was $330 (Amazon)with the largest print being 8X10, same technology as the Canon i9900. I could burn the new Canon and still get a newer printer if the newer printers next year justify's the price. This with 11X17 inch size and the 13X19 inch size for wall size prints has made my decision, and I should get my new Canon i9900 printer in 2 days.

Is it crazy to print at home anymore? With the printers changing on a yearly basis, are buying printers obsolete?

I have a new D200 and will invest in glass in the future, but I am told my 3 year old Dell (2ghz 1gig ram) is due for a change. In Aug-Sep the new Vista operating system will be out with the 64 bit, so I am also looking at that with the new 24 inch LCD to get multiple pictures on a screen.

I think the biggest bang for the buck is the way to go in the future, and buy the middle of the road, as we are all going to have to roll with the new technology coming faster every year.

Good Luck
Will Hunt

Will Hunt

G