Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

am I an idiot or is my printer: color management and st

twanto

Austin, US
1298 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
twanto Basic Member
Wed 16-Jan-08 02:14 PM

I've always struggled with color management, and can never get it right.

The problem:

Simply put, the colors don't match screen and printer. They don't match so bad, you'd think it was a different picture. I'm using a PC, Adobe PS CS2, and a Canon i850. I've printed a few things that seemed OK, close enough for me not to complain about 5x7's. Now I'm trying to print out a sunset with mountains. The colors come out way too saturated- the sky is really orange and the whole thing looks really fake. Perhaps this photograph I'm trying to print is just accentuating the already existent problem.

How I am handling color management when printing: Well I've tried a number of different ways to print the picture, all resulting in the same crap. I'll print with preview and let PS manage colors (selecting the crappy generic printer profile), or let the printer manage colors (trying auto or manual color management within driver)- they all turn out crap. Usually all of this from sRGB or RGB 1998 colorspace.

I haven't plunked down the $250 for monitor calibration software- I know I need to do this (I use Adobe Gamma). BUT, I don't see how the colors could be THAT off...I mean it's really bad. Also, the pritner doesn't come with ICC profiles, so I'm stuck using the generic crap- I've read it's better to handle color management in that case through the printer driver. It gets slightly better if I do that with certain settings, but the colors are still way off.

So what's the correct answer?

A) "Get the monitor calibration tools- it will fix all your problems"

B) "Get a better printer with ICC profiles"

C) answers A and B "and SOFTPROOFING YOU FOOL!!" <---expensive

D) While C will help, the real root of the problem is.... (insert answer here)

E) You will have no help with that piece of crap printer (see answer B).

As you can tell by my questioning here, I am guessing the answer is D. But you be the judge. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

here's the pic:

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Nathan

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: am I an idiot or is my printer: color management an