Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Epson 2200 first impressions...

BJNicholls

Salt Lake City, US
10095 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter Member
Wed 28-Aug-02 03:33 AM

I got my 2200 last week and have done a little printing with it. I'm generally quite pleased with the results and I'm optimistic for the longevity of prints. I'm still working out what driver settings to use, the 2200 produces a less saturated image than the 1270 using similar settings. I'll share more printing impressions as I get further into it.

However, there are some design details that are annoying. The power button is positioned at the top right corner of the printer (at the end of the row of control buttons). This is a poor location that is easily bumped accidentally compared to the low frontal location for power on the 12XX series. My office space is always tight, so I somtimes set things on any available surface. I'll have to train myself to avoid setting anything on the 2200.

The removable paper tray engineering seems Mickey Mouse. A least on mine, replacing the tray is requires some finessing since it wants to bind as I try to align the hing pins and lock. This isn't a huge problem, but the design could have been better.

The paper cutter will leave big roller marks on prints with dense ink coverage if the paper isn't ejected and cut right away. I discovered this while I was making a series of settings test images on roll paper with the cutter installed. Having a cutter is great, I just wish the controls were better explained in the manual.

The two-piece roll paper holders are delicate-looking and fussy to use compared to the single cylinder design for other Epsons. They may turn out to be fine over time. I really like having a separate feed path for roll paper and this path seems to be less fussy about roll paper curl during loading.

The printer requires a high quality IEEE 1394 cable if you choose to use that connection option. I went through two generic ones that wouldn't work and wasted hours of troubleshooting and driving back and forth to the computer store. The Belkin 14' cable I picked up for double the price works. I've found Epson printers to be very picky about cables in the past, so this isn't a surprise. Save yourself a headache when you buy a cable for your Epson (especially if it's a long cable) and get one that is high quality.

Cartridge loading is a little vague. There isn't a good tactile feeback to proper installation. It's nice to have separate cartridges even if installing a full set of 8 carts takes a while compared to the two for my 1270.

I have yet to find the control buttons explained in any of the product literature. By trial and error, I discovered that powering off the printer would cause the cutter to cut and eject the last print. That's good, because the driver has no control that allows you to manually make a cut. As far as I can tell, setting the driver for manual cut means not using the cutter at all as opposed to manually controlling the cutter. I can make reasonable guesses at the functions of the buttons, but I'm not impressed with the documentation. I'll read every page in the manual and see if the info is buried somewhere.

The reviews I've read for the 2100 haven't dealt much with the printer itself and the design shortcomings I've noted. The "out of box" experience for the 2200 wasn't what Epson should aspire to provide. I hope my experience will save you some hassle with your printer setup. My experience with several earlier models got me through it, I fear a new buyer might be forced to call tech support.

Stay tuned for more printing impressions. I can say that I haven't seen any metamerism yet and the print speed seems to be faster than my 1270 for similar driver settings.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Epson 2200 first impressions...

G