Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Did I get a steal on Monaco EZColor?

Watchguy1

Baltimore, US
116 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Watchguy1 Registered since 18th Dec 2003
Wed 02-Nov-05 06:48 PM

i took the advice of everyone and bought a monitor calibrator last week. Made a big difference.

Anyway, I bought Monaco Optix Xr from Norman Camera for $180. I figured the free upgrade to OptixPro would be value added.

So, I loaded the program, calibrated my screen and dutifully looked for the right bar code to send in for the rebate. The barcode did not match so I called MAC group and told them what I was looking at and they said to send that in. Ok.

One week letter I get a letter with instructions for upgrading Optix to OptixPro. Sez. look for the "file" drop down in the top left corner of the main program screen.

I don't HAVE any commands along the top edge of my program screen. Just 4 icons, one each for profile monitor, profile scanner, profile printer and creat input profile. Huh?

So I put in a call again to Xrite. While I am waiting for the return call, I look on the site to see if there is a way to download OpixPro and simply plug in the activation code I received.

The program does not look like what I have. Beside, my software and book say EZColor. Wait. Oops. Look up Ezcolor. It is a different program.

Look up prices. EZColor is $500. OptixXr is $230. EZcolor profile all devices, OpixXR and OptixXRPro calibrates only the monitor.

Look at my box; it SEZ OptixXR and it looks just like the OptixXr box on the Xrite site. Look at the EzColor box; nope, not even close to what I have.

Did I just get a steal of a deal? The box was fully sealed; does Norman have a batch of mispackaged software? How can I make up a story like this?

Regards,

Dewey Clark
www.historictimekeepers.com

G