Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

selecting new printer

brooksfarm pa

Philadelphia vicinity, US
583 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
brooksfarm pa Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2002
Wed 02-Oct-02 12:54 PM

As I continue to upgrade my equipment, I'm looking for the best home printer for quality photos that I can get for under $1,000.

One stumbling block is that it must be compatible with MAC OSX 10.2.

I favor the following:
1) Epson 2200, which besides not being in stock anywhere right now, might be too new to be reliable. On the upside, it has 7 colors, long-life prints, firewire connection, and the Epson tech support says it is OSX 10.2 compatible.
2) Canon S9000--sounds real good, even though it does not connect by firewire.
3)Olympus P-400--the only one that is dye sublimation technology, which I have not experienced but hear it is good. Supplies are expensive, but I can use my HP Photosmart 1215 for initial proofing (when they finally get the drivers).

Have I said too much?

Do you have any advice?

I'm trying to put together equipment that I can rely on for a long time. Whatever printer I get, I will use with Photoshop 7 and the Nikon 4000 scanner.

Final comments: I've found that the MAC web site for figuring out compatibility with OSX 10.2 is not all that helpful or reliable. Vue Scan software makes the Nikon 4000 compatible with 10.2. (Nikon says they will eventually have a software upgrade that is also compatible.)

Thanks for any information you can share with me.

Dennis

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: selecting new printer

G