Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What Resolution do I need - Luminous Landscape

William

Norwalk, US
53 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
William Registered since 05th Aug 2004
Wed 18-Aug-04 08:44 PM

While browsing I came across the following on the Luminous Landscape. - "Most photographers do their printing these days with a desktop inkjet printer and the Epson Photo printers are the most popular so I'll use them by way of example. These printers, such as the models 870/1270/2000P are (somewhat misleadingly) listed as 1440 dpi printers. This means that they are capable of laying down that many dots per inch. But, to create a colour image they need to use 6 different inks, so any particular pixel reproduced on a print will be composed of some dithered composite of coloured dots using some or all of these inks. That's why you need more dots from your printer than you have pixels in your image.
If you divide 1440 by 6 you end up with 240. This is the true minimum resolution needed to get a high quality photo-realistic prints from a 1440 dpi Epson printer. Many user, myself included, believe that a 360 ppi output file can produce a somewhat better print. If my original scan is big enough to allow this I'll do so but I don't bother ressing up a file to more than 240 ppi when making large prints"
The Luminous Landscape
© 1995-2004 Michael Reichmann

While I thought I understood resolution my questions involve the following. I am currently using a Canon 9900. Advertised resolution is 4800 x 2400 dpi max; however, I understand the print head makes two passes, therefore real resolution is 2400 x 1200 dpi. The 9900 uses 8 ink cartridges. Based upon the portion of the article I appended above, that would imply (1200/8 = 150 dpi) a derived minimum required print resolution of 150 dpi to reproduce the gamut.

Question 1: Did I understand the article based upon my conclusion?
Question 2: What is the real resolution of the 9900?
Question 3: Assuming that the file size I am working on does not need to be resampled, is anything visually gained by putting a higher resolution than 150 dpi in imaze size and resolution dialog box (this is based on extrapolating the logic of the above article)?

Generally, based upon my scanned file size I generally print at least at 240 dpi. When printing at a higher resolution (300 to 360 dpi) and print size of 8.5 x 11 while using Canon Glossy Paper Pro I personally can not see the difference.

I would appreciate any insight on the above.

Thanks.

William

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What Resolution do I need - Luminous Landscape