Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Monitor calibration: Colour Temperature

vladiator

Auckland, NZ
129 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
vladiator Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2009
Wed 24-Jul-13 12:31 PM

Hi all

I just purchased my first IPS monitor - Dell U2713HM. I have Spyder 4 Elite so I decided to calibrate the monitor.

Typically I use my PC for photo editing in the evenings. As such, my room is normally quite dark as I do not use any lights above me, and the only lights come from another side of the room, about 4-5 metres away.

According to Spyder's light measurement, the ambient light was Very Dim. As such, Spyder suggested that I set the brightness to 90 cd/m2 and set my colour temperature to 5000K.

The latter recommendation made by Spyder calibration software confused me. According to the Spyder's own help menu, the typical suggested monitor temperature is 6500K and only "some" photographers use as low as 5800K. But 5000K?

I tried 5000K and it was a bit too warm/yellowish to my liking. I recalibrated the second time with the target of 5700K and I personally prefer the colours. However my question is - would 5000K, as suggested by Spyder, actually be a more correct representation of true colours? Will I be seeing the wrong colours in my post processing if I keep using the monitor calibrated to 5700K?

Thanks in advance.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G