Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Creating your own icc print profiles

dgillilan

Williamsburg, US
2695 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dgillilan Silver Member Nikonian since 15th May 2006
Tue 25-Jun-13 12:53 AM | edited Tue 25-Jun-13 01:07 AM by dgillilan

I am wondering what other hardware are you folks using to develop your own icc profiles and have you compared your custom profiles to those of the mfr?
I have used a Colorvision Datacolor Spectrocolorimeter for about six years now and I enjoy creating my own profiles. I have compared my own profiles to those of the mfr. and they are close, which I mean that the mfr. does develop really good profiles for a given printer. The ones I have compared so far are the Epson profiles for Epson papers on Epson printers, and I have developed some Crane Museo Max profiles for my Epsons.
Tonight I developed a icc profile for my Epson glossy paper to use with my new Canon printer(obviously, no icc profile would be available on either mfr. site, competition !). I want to be able to use my Epson paper that I have stocked up, with the Canon printer also. So I am glad to have this little spectro and I am very happy with the prints I have obtained using my custom profiles. I think I get better results than with the canned profiles, specifically, better color and better b/w gradations.
I learned tonight that a software update to my hardware now offers additional options such as curves import, and advanced editing for shadow and highlight tint sliders, brightness, contrast, and saturation sliders, sheesh, I have more to learn due to the update since I last used my spectro a while back.
What do others think who are doing this and would you elaborate on any special tips or things you do, to augment your creating methods? I realized tonight that I was using a closeup light to more clearly see my patches as I read them, only I felt that the light may have interfered with that little LED sensor that was reading the patches, so I moved it much farther back away from the spectro.

Thanks,
Debra

Visit My Nikonian Gallery: https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=94067
My Zenfolio Gallery: http://debragillilan.zenfolio.com/

G