Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Using a Nikon 4000 scanner w/Mac OS 10.6.8?

bigbear1

Roanoke, US
895 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
bigbear1 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006
Sat 11-May-13 09:21 PM | edited Sat 11-May-13 09:23 PM by bigbear1

I have a Nikon LS4000 ED scanner that I'd like to use to scan my slide collection. I'm a little confused regarding software to use the scanner with the current software running on my Mac Mini.

I'm running Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), Photoshop CS3 and PS Elements 10 and Lightroom 4. I also have an older copy of Nikon Capture NX 2.0.1.

According to my interpretation of the Nikon website, they no longer support the LS4000 with software updates. To get around the problem, I'm considering buying Silverfast 8 (the version that's specifically designed to run on the 4000 and OS X 10.6).

Do I need a specific Mac compatible driver from Nikon in order to do this? WIll the scanner run on my Mac with just the Silverfast software? If it doesn't, my Nikon scanner is useless to me.

Can anyone out there provide some advice? I'd hate to drop $350 for the Silverfast software if the scanner won't run on OS X.

Thanks,
bigbear1

G