Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Epson Scanner in Machine Gun Mode

drjh68

Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
151 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003
Fri 19-Apr-13 10:39 AM

Greetings! (This is my first visit to this forum.)

I have an Epson 4990 Photo scanner bought in 2005, and only lightly used. My OS is Win 7 SP1 64-bit fully up to date. I use the scanner with the latest version of Vuescan.

It has always worked perfectly until two days ago when out of the blue it started making a loud series of clicks like a small machine gun when switched on. After a few seconds it would briefly fall silent , then resume the noise for a few seconds, then stop altogether. I have checked all connections, and that made no difference.

I referred the problem to Epson UK who referred me in turn to several places on their web site, none of which mentioned the problem. I have checked that the transport lock on the scanner is Open (not that it should fail to start up even if locked).

Has any 4990 user had this problem? Any advice most gratefully received

James
Suffolk UK

G