Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US
762 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bravozulu Registered since 04th Jun 2012
Sat 16-Mar-13 10:13 PM

The local camera store held a 1-hour seminar on Canon print technology. A representative from Canon gave the talk and answered questions. He passed around prints on various sorts of paper & canvas. All were 11x17" and remarkable.

I wonder if what this fellow told us agrees with your own experience printing. My purpose in wanting to print is only to do B&W of old scanned 120 film and 35mm negatives. After I saw the color samples, I think I want to do even more.

This guy said the target for really fine prints is to achieve a 4500 dpi resolution, which requires about 16mp camera (at least for images bigger than 5x7 or 8x10).

He said that the cost of printing, including ink and fine paper ends up being about 25% of what a print house or FedEx office would charge.

He said the ink cartridges are durable over time. He has printed with cartridges sealed in original packaging that are more than 10 years old.

For my intended use, the Pro 1 model, selling for about $950, has 2 black cartridges and 3 shades of gray.

He demonstrated the new Canon printer software. Downloadable at no charge. Fairly sophisticated, and can tailor the output to match a slew of custom papers and finish. One neat feature is a command called Pattern Print. This takes a single image (RAW or Jpeg), and prints out on a single sheet several dozen thumbnails of the image while varying contrast, brightness, hue settings. Giving you one proofsheet with every possible slider adjustment. Thus saving ink, paper and time. Pretty trick, I thought.

I don't own a quality printer and might buy something high end. Might. How do these statements appear to you? I get the impression that Epson is king of the mountain to digital photographers. Are there downsides to Canon?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G