Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Upgraded to Win 8 & landed with a deep color cast

PRSS

Madurai, IN
410 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
PRSS Registered since 10th Apr 2012
Wed 06-Mar-13 03:36 PM

Hello everybody!

In late January I bought a Sony Vaio SVE14AA11W with AMD Radeon HD 7670M Graphic engine. It came with Windows 7 64 bit pre-loaded. During this period there was this special offer to upgrade to Win 8 at a throw away price.

So I upgraded to Win 8. After the installation was over, I was in for a very big shock. My monitor color cast was now orangish yellow. Before installing Win 8, it was almost pure white and even color editing of photos were possible. All colors were near neutral when it had Win 7.

I had upgraded (as recommended by Microsoft) without formatting the hard drive, so that when the upgrade installed when connected to the internet, all driver/software updates etc. happened automatically. I got the message at the final part - that I had to re-install the graphics driver of the Radeon. So I re-installed the Win 8 64 bit Radeon driver appropriate to this laptop from Sony website.

I really lost my charm with this laptop when I saw the heavy color cast with Win 8.

My question is why should an OS upgrade change the color cast. There was no color profile present even when it was in Win 7. (I had checked for it before upgrading).

Not only this problem, but my monitor became less brilliant (at the highest brilliance setting). When connected to the external monitor also, I could see that the signal going from the laptop is a much weaker signal than it was when it had Win 7. The external monitor is also less bright than it was when Win 7 was there - and also with the color cast also carried from the laptop - but at least with the external monitor I could re-calibrate the display. But again why should this happen?

Should an OS upgrade give all these problems - which are very critical? I really do not know what to do. My vendor also has no idea why this happened.

Thanks in advance
PRSS

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Upgraded to Win 8 & landed with a deep color cast

G