Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Epson Perfection V370 Color Scanner

Obregon

New York City, US
2609 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Wed 23-Jan-13 05:07 PM

When I first started scanning slides (remember slides?), I used a dedicated slide scanner to convert my analog slides to digital files. Although it was possible to scan slides with a flatbed scanner, the quality was much poorer. Today I’m willing to commit some of those beloved memories to a flatbed scanner.

The Epson V370 is a flatbed scanner that can copy both documents and photographic images. It comes with several pieces of software, including a quick scan feature that allows documents to be scanned with the press of a button; Epson Scan which allows great control over the scan; Media Impressions, which allows for the review and editing of a number of types of media files; and Scan and Stitch which allows the user to stitch oversize documents together. The software will handle documents and prints, negative film and slides. The film strips and slides are limited to 35mm film. The software includes what appears to be proprietary dust removal software, and has the ability to make a number of tone and color adjustments to the image, although most users would be better off making those adjustments in image processing software, like Lightroom or Photoshop. There doesn’t appear to be any built-in calibration facility. The user’s guide is only available on line, but not in a PDF format. Software is provided for both Windows and Apple computers.

The V370 is part of a complete line of flatbed scanners from Epson. Unfortunately, the resolution of 4800 p.p.i. is a great deal lower than the resolution of 35mm film. This means that a great deal of information from the original image is lost in the scanning. As a result, I can not recommend this scanner for serious slide and film scanning, although it might do for copying large prints. If all you want is document copying, the less costly V37 is available. Anyone serious about digitizing their slides and film will look at the V500 or V600. Even though they cost twice as much as the V370, they have much better resolution, are faster, and have more features. (One could also look at the feature-rich V700, but that copier costs seven times the price of the V370.)

This machine can copy photos. It just doesn’t do it very well.

G