Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

icc profiles and color managed software

danall

Springfield, US
122 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
danall Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2009
Wed 23-Jan-13 03:44 PM

I've tried to educate myself on color management, have read lots of internet articles, have a couple of books on color management, but you will see from the questions i have that i really must not have a good grasp of the fundamentals. I have a NEC monitor that i generate custom icc monitor profiles using the proprietary Spectraview software and Spyder calibration tools. I use the native "full" color gamut of the monitor for the monitor profiling/calibrating. I use these as the "default" icc profile for that monitor in Windows 7. When i use a color managed software like Oloneo Photoengine i can choose a custom icc profile for my display preferences. Should i be choosing that same icc profile in those software preferences or should i be choosing one that matches that tagged to an image (srgb or argb)? Should i be generating and using monitor profiles that match the color space of my images, ie if I am editing srgb images should i have a custom monitor icc profile using that color space instead of the wide gamut one? I guess I'm asking that with my attempt at color management should i be using monitor icc profiles that match the color space of my files. I have both srgb and argb files. Do i need to generate different monitor profiles for each and switch back and forth in the default monitor settings? Somewhere i read to just use the wide gamut setting for everything? Is that correct?

Daniel Schlender

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G