Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New Printer Advice

Fortkentdad

Fort Kent, CA
354 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Fortkentdad Registered since 01st Sep 2012
Tue 18-Dec-12 11:54 PM

I have a Canon MP140, it works and the photo's are OK, but it is getting a little long in the tooth and my wife wants a printer in her office rather than share one between our two offices (its a small house but we manage to have two offices )

I'm considering a few models

I recently tried the Epson Artisan 837 and took it back to Staples after the printer just devoured almost all the ink in five colour cartridges printing just FOUR 4x6 prints. Must have been either a bad printer or bad ink. I did get an email from Epson saying that these machines must prime the printhead but really, almost all the ink from five cartridges. Something was wrong, might have been a bad set of cartridges or bad printer or ?? . Anyway, that printer was returned for full refund.

Now I can try another Artisan 837 ($250 new, $120 refurbished).

OR try the Epson Expression Photo XP-850 All-in-One Printer, it takes the same set of inks and is $299

Or do I want to go to a wide format printer like the Epson Stylus Photo R2880 Printer which is $476 after mail in rebate of $150. It takes 8 cartridges @ $15 each.

. . .

OR do I look at the Canon system. Their less expensive photo printers are still using six cartridges but have two black, a grey and only three colours, compared to Epson's five colour plus one black. I suspect (but may be wrong about this suspicion) that the Canon gives better B&W whereas the Epsons colour should be better ~ no?

Anyway the Canons under consideration include the:

PIXMA MG8220 PHOTO ALL-IN-ONE which Henry's has on for a steal of deal at $129 marked down from $350. (Makes me ask why?), or the MP990 at $350, or I go wide and get the PIXMA Pro9500 Mark II Printer for $400 (marked down from $899 at Vistek) that printer takes 10 $20 cartridges.

I want it first for printing photo's in various sizes up to 8x10. Not sure how often I'd print larger images, and think that for the few times I might want to do this, I can get it printed at the local photo shop. How many big prints can I hang on my walls??? So I'm leaning more towards the less expensive all-in-one's rather than the more expensive wide format printers, but I'm considering all options.

This would be the printer in my office (my wife will get the old MP140 for her office on the lower level) so it will also be used to print the odd letter or map from Google Maps, or maybe a card. So it need general all round use. I like the idea of printing CD's and bought a spindle of 50 printable CD's for the Artisan. (But I do have Lightscribe burner and lots and lots of Lightscribe disks so not a deal maker but a nice to have feature).

I have a good HP scanner that does slides and negatives so the scanner is just gravy, a document feed scanner is a nice touch, not sure if I'd use it but nice to have. Fax, who still faxes? Not me. So the "all in one" for me means able to print photo's but still do a good job on basic document printing too. I'm not in school nor taking any courses so my printing needs are limited.

I'm not thinking of selling my prints so they are just for personal use and sharing photographs with friends. Might put together an album someday, or not.

AND I would like a printer that is not going to empty my wallet every time it needs a cartridge.

Suggestions?

Any lemons to avoid??

My leaning right now is for the deal at Henry's for a PIXMA MG 8220 ($129) or try a refurbished Artisan 837 ($119.00) but am I being penny wise and pound foolish here? Both machines are regularly $279 (the 837) or $350 (the 8220) so they are not $100 units.

FKD
Alberta CANADA

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New Printer Advice