Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Printer Profiles............

Bump57

US
6898 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Laureate Ribbon awarded as a winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007
Thu 11-Oct-12 02:33 PM

It is becoming increasingly apparent that a good printer/paper profile rules all. I have 5 sample packs of paper now. One thing I have noticed and maybe it is just me in my early stages of learning the printer process is that luster paper is luster paper and seems to be very much the same form manufacture to manufacture. Weight may be the biggest physical difference. The bigger difference seems to be in the printer/paper profiles downloaded from the source. When using for instance Epson's & Breathing Colors luster paper and profiles I can see a much greater difference in rendering intent with the Breathing Color profile then with Epson's profile which is basically none existent. Now I don't know what that means other then it is easier to proof my image using the paper form BC. The other thing I have noticed is not all manufactures have current printer/paper profiles for the 3880. Lexjet is one example of this. They only have profiles for the 3800 which for me is not working out too well. I have been trying to print with one of their papers, (hot press rag) and the results were not good. After a little bit of research it seems there are some differences between the 3800 & 3880 one of those being the ink set used. The 3800 does not have the vivid magenta for example. Not only that but the profile Lexjet has for the 3800 is probably a few years old, who knows. I called them on this and their reply was they have never had a 3880 in house to make profiles form which really doesn't help me any. They did say they would make custom profiles for me which really doesn't help me with my sample pack I bought at 50 bucks and would be very time consuming to boot. I would be using my sample pack to profile their papers. If is was just one paper, maybe but a whole pack, not going to happen.

I am going to stop this story here to ask this question as it is become increasingly apparent that a spectrophotometer is in my future if I want my output to be the best it can be and consistent, which I do. Some of these packages and devices though are way out of my current price range and probably do more then I need as well. The ColorMunki Photo however seems to be with in my reach. On paper it appears very good for what I need which is to calibrate my monitors and now for now single printer. It is however 1/3rd the cost of some of the others so I am a little leery of it. Anybody here have an opinion on this device or use it with good results? If it was only one or two papers I needed profiles for I would probably just have someone like our very own Ernesto make them for me. I have a feeling though that I am going to need more then two as currently there are about 6 papers I really like. ; )

Your thoughts would be appreciated as always!

Click on image to view larger version

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Printer Profiles............

G