Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Problem with creating a Photo book

abhijitsarkar

US
208 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
abhijitsarkar Registered since 18th Apr 2010
Sat 06-Oct-12 03:07 AM

Hi,

After a recent road trip, for the first time, I wanted to get a photo book created. I've gotten some prints done before but as I said, not a photo book. Mixbook seemed to have gotten some good reviews so I went. And therein started the issues.

No matter how I export my images from LR4, I could not get them fit into a 8.5x11 book. They would always bleed heavily outside the allotted image area, as a result, cropping the sides of the image. I contacted their tech support who told me that the only way to preserve the full image is to upload it as a background to the page. For multiple images with corresponding text, I'd have to create the whole thing as an image in PS or InDesign and upload as a background image.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Seriously? If I do all the work and they don't do a thing, what am I paying for? Certainly the fancy presets they provide is part of the package that I would buy.

Frustrated, I tried some other services like MyPublisher with the same results. Now I am creating the book in LR4 which has integration with Blurb and seems to be handling the images well. Blurb was not in my preferred provider list but I guess I'd compromise for an intact image than a superior book.

I being new to printing images, it's possible that I am missing something. However, so far, the above providers couldn't point it out to me.

--
Abhijit

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Problem with creating a Photo book

G