Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Calibrating vs color profiling

abhijitsarkar

US
208 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
abhijitsarkar Registered since 18th Apr 2010
Sat 06-Oct-12 03:06 AM

Hi,

Before I ask the question, some background to put things into context. I have been photographing for a couple of years now but just getting started with serious printing. I'd be classified an advanced amateur. My life doesn't depend on color management but like anyone getting started with color management, I'd like to see a fairly close representation of my images in print.

That being said, I read a lot of articles and saw a ton of videos in the last week about color management. One thing that I am not clear about is if I need to calibrate my monitor if the only thing I care about is a fairly close representation of my images in print. Some say that I can install the lab's recommended profile on my computer, soft proof using that profile and send it off to print when satisfied. According to those, I do not need a calibrated monitor for that use case.

Is that true? For what it matters, I use LR4 with PSE10 and use the former for soft proofing.

--
Abhijit

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Calibrating vs color profiling