Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Epson printer service - "Ink pads are at end of service life..."

kennoll

Seattle, US
953 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kennoll Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011
Wed 01-Aug-12 01:06 AM

Has anyone heard of "Ink pads are at end of service life..." error on Epson printers? I have an Artisan 800 printer that is about 2.5 yrs old. I don't use it every day and, sometimes, a few weeks may go by. (Even so, it seems that the ink still goes down rather fast.) Now I get this error message about the ink pads. The control panel flashes and the printer becomes unusable. Called Epson support. Only thing to do is have their service center fix it. The repair kit cost about $28. Problems are 1) the closest service centers are 180 miles away in Portland, OR. and 2) the service center can't sell me the part. They have to install it. The shop costs would be around $100. Add shippng/handling costs then you're getting into printer replacement cost area.

It's an interesting problem. There is a tray under the ink jets with sponges in it. The sponges gather up the excess ink from head cleaning, printing, etc. When the tray is full this error comes up. But, displaying of the error doesn't seem to have anything to do with the full sponge tray in that the error comes up when a counter goes to zero or some predetermined number. A temporary fix is to download a (free) counter reset app from Epson and run it. Once run, you can use the printer again. However, there is a caveat in that the tray may overfill and spill ink all over whatever the printer is sitting on.

So, is it a ink pad problem or a counter problem?

I don't know if this is a problem unique to this printer model or is a condition all Epson inkjet printers may experience. I think it's built in obsolescence.

Either way, this printer is soon to be toast as it's Depends are full....

Anyway, I thought I would pass this along as an FYI for Epson printer owners.

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Epson printer service - "Ink pads are at end of se...

G