Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Paper Selections

Patrick604

US
85 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Patrick604 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jun 2012
Thu 12-Jul-12 05:50 AM

Greetings!

I hope this is in the correct section. I was actually looking for a section on paper, but this is the closest I found.

I come from the old days of wet processing. I had my hands in chemicals since I was about 10-years-old. I never could bring myself to use tongs, but that is another matter. do you suppose that is why my kids have three eyeballs???

Anyhow, I had a paper recommendation from a local friend whom I respect as an excellent photographer with great style and vision. He suggested that the Staples photo papers were very good at a fraction of the cost of the big boys.

I am just converting over to digital, and picked up a Canon Pro9000 Mk II for a song. I went out to get some Staples brand photo paper for it. I started with the Photo Supreme in High Gloss for small test shots, and general printing for my daughter's snapshots.

I liked the paper, but was looking for a traditional matte surface and bought some large sheets of Photo Supreme Matte. This is NOT what I was looking for. This is more like card stock than photo paper. I printed a couple of 8X10's on it and was surprised at how much they curled up after they came out of the printer. I let them dry out for a day and they more or less flattened out, but I am concerned that they will not hold up well to humidity when I mount them and place them in a frame. I admit that they look okay, but they don't seem to have the same snap as I would expect from a paper coated with an emulsion layer.

So, I am guessing that matte in the digital printing world is not the same as the old matte papers I would buy from Kodak, Agfa and Ilford back in the good old days.

What should I be using for a slightly textured photo paper for this Canon that will remind me of the papers I used to use when I had a darkroom?

Thanks for your help!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Paper Selections

G