Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

problems with adhesive tape on baryta paper

kmh

Los Alamos, US
138 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kmh Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008
Sat 23-Jun-12 05:31 PM

For the past several years, all my photos have been printed on Fuji Crystal Archive photo paper. Artist's tape has served me well to hold those prints in position during the process of mounting prints; for matted prints, I use a hinge method employing archival materials. Also, for displaying prints without matting at the Art Center, I also have used Artist's tape to secure prints to boards and then put them in a plastic sleeve.

The nice thing about artist's tape is that it usually peels cleanly off most surfaces without leaving any adhesive behind.

I have recently started to use Ilford Gold Fibre Silk baryta paper. I have been surprised by how much the baryta paper holds onto artist's tape. When I peel the tape off, a sticky patch of adhesive remains. I imagine this effect has to do with the special kind of surface on the baryta paper.

I have found that every other type of tape I had handy also leaves adhesive behind (hinge tape, tissue mounting tape, Scotch blue painters tape, Scotch magic tape; the last one leaving the least adhesive). I have been able to remove most of the adhesive with naphtha (fortunately only on the border of the print, not the image itself).

Does anyone know of a tape that can be peeled cleanly off baryta paper, such as Gold Fibre Silk? Does anyone have suggestion for displaying a baryta print that is not matted?

----
Cheers, Ken Hanson

Cheers,
Ken Hanson

My gallery

G