Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Epson R3000 prints not centered on smaller media.

herbnapa

Napa, US
130 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
herbnapa Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2009
Wed 30-May-12 11:37 PM

Well I'm "getting familiar" with my new R3000. For the most part I'm very happy with the print quality. But...on smaller format paper it does not seem to be centering the images properly. On both 5x7 and 4x6 paper the top and right margins are significantly larger than their counterparts. I'm using PhotoShop CS5, and having PhotoShop manage the colors.

I've searched the topic in this forum, and have found many posts on various iterations of this general problem, but none, so far, that "fits" (pun intended). I hope this issue hasn't been discussed so much that my question is "tedious".

I do not try to make borderless prints. I resize the images to enable the image to fit the dimensions of the mattes that I'm using with the incumbent trade offs for clipping visible edges; so I'm not sure whether checking the box to have the print "scaled" to the media size is applicable. On larger prints, using mattes with bigger margins, this is less of an issue, but the smaller matte margins for smaller print media really constrains the ability to compensate. Here-to-fore, I've used print paper smaller that the external matte parameters, but this requires tedious mounting of the print on the matte backing.

I, of course, do have the "center images" box checked, and I'm being very careful about loading single sheets according to the directions. While I think that deviations from center may be more apparent on smaller medium papers than on larger ones due to the inherent visual properties, I haven't noticed any measurable differences on a 8 1/2 by 11 prints.

In general, I'm impressed with the amount of technical skill one has to develop (pun not intended) to prepare images for printing, and so, I'm confident that this particular problem is just one bump on the road to gaining some acceptable level of competence. However, any feedback on this subject would be appreciated.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Epson R3000 prints not centered on smaller media.
     Reply message L800 printer from epson

G