Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

coating prints

kmh

Los Alamos, US
134 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kmh Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008
Fri 06-Apr-12 07:52 PM

My comment about the use of PremierArt Print Shield made on another thread (Inexpensive and nice stock frames) evoked a question by barrywesthead. Since there hasn't been a recent discussion of print coatings, I thought one would be worthwhile.

My earlier comment: I prefer to use 3M's 568 Repositionable Mounting Adhesive to mount my photos to GatorFoam so they don't develop ripples or waves and then spray them with PremierArt Print Shield so they don't need to be covered with glazing.

Barrywesthead, who has extensive experience with Eco Print Shield, asked me to say something about how well the Print Shield works on gloss and satin finishes. Here is my reply:

The manufacturer says that PremierArt Print Shield spray, which is lacquer based, can be used on any type of finish and the finish is retained. I have used it on a number of papers where it works very well, including Red River Arctic Polar Satin, Fuji Crystal Archive Matte (photographic paper), which also has a satin finish, and several matte inkjet papers. In all these cases, the final finish looked essentially the same as before spraying. There is no color shift.

I have tried PA Print Shield on a glossy inkjet print and I don't think it is satisfactory because it tends to disrupt the mirror surface by creating a slight stippling.

I have tried two other products, Hahnemuhle Protective Spray and Moab Desert Varnish, and have concluded that these are all essentially identical to PremierArt Print Shield. So I buy the cheapest; right now that is probably PremierArt at DTG or Atlex

A word about my spraying technique: I hold the can about 18" from the print, which is vertical, and move the can back and forth smoothly, at a speed of 12" per second. You need to be careful not to dwell anywhere over the print so it is good to go beyond the edge of the print before coming back. I overlap the spray pattern from pass to pass about 50%. A small blob of liquid occasionally ends up on the print, which will leave a small crater after it dries. I immediately remove the blob with a dab of a q-tip, moistened with naphtha when I am spraying photographic prints.

I am not sure what solvent to use for inkjet prints because I don't have enough experience. A q-tip moistened with naphtha will remove pigment ink from a print if you rub on it. Inkjet prints seem less susceptible to damage from paint thinner, but naphtha may be OK if used very gently. I tried other organic solvents and they all dissolve ink quickly.

Also, beware of Windex glass cleaner; it really eats up inkjet images.

Ken Hanson

Cheers,
Ken Hanson

My gallery

G