Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

color cast in Epson Hot Press papers printed with Epson 4900

kmh

Los Alamos, US
134 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kmh Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008
Thu 05-Apr-12 12:12 AM

I recently bought my first photographic-quality inkjet printer, an Epson 4900. As I was trying to make up my mind to buy the 4900, I appreciated reading the review by Ernesto Santos.

I love the 4900 and have made some very nice prints on a variety of papers (Epson photo, Hahnemuhle, Ilford, Red River, ...). I followed Martin Evening's book to manage the color from CS5 and always used the ICCs recommended by the paper manufacturer.

For the near term, I settled on using two Red River papers, Arctic Polar Satin and Aurora Fine Art White (with minimal OBAs). I have mostly printed on the Satin and like its surface texture and color, as they closely resemble those of Fuji Crystal Archive Matte photographic paper (from Aspen Creek Photo), which I have happily using for several years.

All was going well until I tried the two Epson Hot Press papers from a Signature Worthy Sample Pack sent to me by DTG (for free!). I first used an ICC I downloaded from Epson's UK site: EpsonStylusPro4900_4910Hot_Press_Bright_MK. The prints came out with a disappointing green color cast. I then tried the ICC that came with the 4900 driver: EpsonStylusPro4900_4910UltraSmoothFineArtPaper_MK. It also had a similar green cast, but not quite as strong. The image I am using in these tests is: Sandhill cranes at daybreak

To quantify how large the color cast is, I used the Hue/Saturation tool in CS5 to adjust my monitor image to match the prints; the required settings were Hue +10, Sat -10.

One last result, I printed on the RR Satin paper with the UltraSmoothFineArtPaper_MK ICC and the image had only a slight amount of green cast, but enough to be objectionable. This suggests the "color-cast problem" is caused by the papers, which the ICC should correct for, as I understand it.

My questions:
(1) has anyone else seen this effect with Epson Hot Press papers?
(2) does anyone have suggestions for fixing this problem or finding my error?
Of course, I could try to adjust each image before printing it with Hue/Sat or Color Balance, but that negates the purpose of ICCs.

Let my say that the Hot Press papers have some very desirable properties: they seem to have extraordinary contrast (for matte) and produce a very dark black. I would like to resolve my color-cast problem so I add them to my repertoire in the future.

Some possibly relevant details: my monitor is an HP LP2475w with a wide-gamut IPS panel, which I calibrate with a Spyder 3 Pro.

Cheers,
Ken Hanson

My gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: color cast in Epson Hot Press papers printed with E...

G