Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

how do you touch up inkjet prints?

kmh

Los Alamos, US
138 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kmh Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008
Mon 02-Apr-12 02:27 AM

Some of the prints I made with my new 4900 had small spots that didn't receive ink; I call them pinholes. They probably arose because of a spec of dust on the paper.

Of course, the first rule is to wipe the paper with a microfiber cloth before putting it in the printer, which I routinely do now.

Still, there is always a possibility of pinholes or other small defects occurring in the printing process. It would be a shame to just throw out the print if a quick fix is possible. My question is: does anyone know of an inexpensive and easy technique to touch up inkjet prints (or retouch, as referred to in the old days of darkroom photography)?

The process I contemplate would use a very fine brush with a mixture of inks/paints with solvent that approximates the color of the region surrounding the pinhole. It would be important for the added color to closely match the surface characteristics of the print.

I read somewhere that all one needs to do is save the ink from expended cartridges in small bottles. All well and good, but I haven't used up any of the 80-ml cartridges yet and it is likely to be a long time before I have a complete set of inks.

A "complete set" of inks probably consists of the one to three blacks and three primary colors (e.g., cyan, yellow, and magenta). Any comments on this?

So, my basic question is what types of inks or artists' paints could one use that would match the surface of an inkjet print made with glossy or rag papers, outside of the ones used by the printer?

Cheers,
Ken Hanson

My gallery

G