Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Epson R1800 — strange problem

Brodstein

San Francisco, US
94 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Brodstein Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd May 2007
Wed 29-Feb-12 03:50 AM

I have had my R1800 for about seven years, and although at times it can be temperamental, I'm generally very pleased with the results.

In the last week I have been experiencing strange problems.

Using the identical TIFF file, I printed a copy on Red River Arctic Polar Gloss, using a custom profile developed for me by Cathy's Profile, which I have had for a long time. The print came out perfectly fine.

Based upon a recommendation, I recently decided to try out Moab Exhibition Luster 300 paper, using the Moab-supplied profile for that paper and my printer. With several printings, the results have been very disappointing — the skin tones and darker areas of the print are blotchy and uneven.

I thought the problem might be with the print head, so I have done multiple head cleanings over the last few days (consuming vast quantities of ink...) but the problem persists.

The strange thing is that when I do a nozzle check, the print pattern has no broken lines or spaces.

I have not yet gone back to print the same print using the Red River Arctic Polar Gloss.

I print 13" X 19" images, which consume large quantities of ink.

I am wondering if the problem is that some of the ink cartridges I have been using are over a year old (in order to get a better price, I bought a fairly large quantity). In researching this problem, I read somewhere that you should not use cartridges that are more than six months old. However, tonight when I checked the status of the ink cartridges, they seem to have more than adequate quantities, so I have no idea which cartridges to get rid of. And getting rid of all of them would set me back over $100.

I do fine art photography, and have never printed large volumes, so it is hard for me to believe that the print head has worn out.

After struggling for three days I still don't have a solution, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Epson R1800 — strange problem

G