Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Epson 2880 prints dark... Help sought

Zevi

Ann Arbor, US
340 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Zevi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2008
Fri 29-Jul-11 11:40 PM

OK, after talking back and forth with the tech support experts, time to appeal to the ones who really know... (aka Nikonians...)

Setup:
Mac OS X 10.6.7
Epson R2880
ColorMunki Photo gadget
Printing from Lightroom usually

After calibrating the monitor and the printer a few times (last time was under supervision and walk-through of the ColorMunki guy, to make sure I do it right), I created an icc printer profile. The print comes out dark (about 1-1.5 stop darker, I'm guessing).

I called Epson.

We made sure I run Epson's "latest and greatest" drivers that are Snow-Leopard compatible. The guy then sent me a test jpg image, asking me to print it straight from "Preview", without applying any profiles or adjustments -- make sure the printer manages colors. Still came out dark. In the "Print" dialog, under "print Settings" -> "Advanced Color Settings" the Epson person instructed me to change Gamma to 1.8 (was 2.2) and set brightness to 10 (was 0).

The printout came brighter/lighter now, but now the whole color profile is out of the equation! The colors seem to be correct, but I don't know that they are. Why did I bother getting ColorMunki then? the Epson person tells me that "they do not support the creation of icc profiles, he advises that Epson should manage the colors, because with the icc profile it is Photoshop (or Lightroom) that manages colors." In other words, and in lay-man's term: not his problem...

So I called ColorMunki again.

The guy (who, I should note, was very patient with my frustrated personality at that time), waled me through monitor calibration again (we really knocked down the brightness to about 120 I think). Since Lightroom does not have soft proofing, we opened the image in CS5, and looked at the soft-proof output in CS5, using the icc profile we created before.

On the screen, the image and the soft proof look the same. In fact, even without applying the icc profile -- the soft proof is very close.

At this point the ColorMunki guy tells me what I dread hearing: that since the soft proof shows what the printer output should be -- but the printer does not print the same output -- I need to talk to Epson.

Now I know what he feels like...

As usual, your advise and input will be highly appreciated! (before I run out of ink and paper...)

Thanks,
Zevi

G