Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

XRite i1Profiler has a fatal flaw

rasworth

Austin, US
1191 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rasworth Basic Member
Thu 07-Apr-11 06:04 PM

I have been using ProfilerMaker 5, coupled with an i1Pro spectrophotometer, for several years. Today I received an email from XRite announcing the availability of their new i1Publish package, which includes the i1Profiler software. It seemed like a good deal, $500 to upgrade, and it's obvious there is no further work being done on ProfileMaker.

I downloaded the software, usable in a demo mode, and went through the workflow description. There are some interesting new options for printer profiling, BUT there is no provision for OBC (optical brightener correction) using an i1Pro, it's only available if one has an i1Isis chart reader.

Most papers, particularly glossy/semi-gloss, require OBC since they contain optical brighteners. It makes no sense for XRite to issue a new profiling software version that doesn't include this capability for i1Pro (easily the most popular spectrophotometer for color management), but indeed they have, I even called their support line to verify. Needless to say I won't be upgrading.

Richard Southworth

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: XRite i1Profiler has a fatal flaw

G