Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Lets beat a dead horse - one more time. Which printer.

wngmstr870

North Beach, US
239 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
wngmstr870 Registered since 07th Mar 2003
Wed 28-Jan-04 05:39 PM

I've gone through the old posts, spent hours on end reading old and archived threads, but still, I cant quite decide on which printer to upgrade to.

Here is my delimia (sp ?): 1) I want and need moderate speed printing - this would lead me to the Canon lines for advertised print speed. 2) I want need, quality in my prints - I'm semi-pro, shoot weddings and portraits and need the quality, this leads me to Canon i960 and Epson 9xx series and maybe the R300 series. The resolution confuses me a bit though. Canon advertised 4800 x 2400 (i think), Epson varies between 5700 x 720 or 1400. The first number - either 4800 or 5700 - obviously the larger would be the higher quality, but what about the second number? I'm confused here. I - like many, am a digital convert from film to digital - understanding resolution can be confusing. 3) I've had prints from my Canon i560 stick to plastic sheets in albums, after I was well convinced they were dry - yet they still stuck - humidity maybe. I have also had droplets of water (rain) fall on a print and left a large white spot where the ink used to be - this is moderatly embarrasing infront of a client. Granted, none of us really want to show our prints to our clients in downpours, but in the event they do get wet - well... Epson says they have the durabright inks that "resist" water - is that ink compatible with the printers I noted above, what about their brightness and accurate colors - compared to Ultrachrome inks, what is the difference? 4) Paper. Most of my clients request matte or satin 4x6 prints - do you know how hard it is to find matte or satin paper precut to 4x6 and have the quality expected? I have ordered a test batch of Adorama's Royal Satin last night, try that - see what it looks like printed. I have heard many say you should stick to within your printers manufacturer for paper - not always possible IMHO. 5) Lastly for now, cost - I cant afford a $600 printer. The largest I print is 8.5 x 11, anything larger I send out for - I receive very few requests for anything larger than 8x10. But the cost variations for up to 8x10 printers have a great range.
I'm so confused, can anyone help settle my quizzyness? Thanks.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Lets beat a dead horse - one more time. Which prin
Reply message RE: Lets beat a dead horse
Reply message RE: Lets beat a dead horse