Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Photo Paper -- my thoughts

quenton8

Toronto, CA
1445 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010
Fri 15-Oct-10 03:40 PM | edited Fri 15-Oct-10 04:02 PM by quenton8

My first post on THIS forum (D90, S/W, Flash for the last year).

I spent the last 3 or 4 weeks researching photo paper -- here and everywhere I could find.

I did not find much definitive. Lots of worries about longevity and of course what it looks like and ICC Profiles.

Paper around here is not easy to get (Toronto Canada), Staples is the main source and has mostly Staples paper and sporadic and ever changing types of Canon/Epson/Kodak, but mostly "out of stock on what I MIGHT want".

So after much thought I placed an order with Red River ... here are my thoughts on paper, red-river etc ...

• for me, longevity is probably not that important. I have 5 or 6 8x10's on my fridge of my grandson, they will be retired in weeks -- I can print them again in 5 years if I want, but my albums are online anyway, and I don't keep printed albums of 3x5's like I used to, so 4 or 5 years would be great
  • I do want variety, gloss, matte, linen etc -- not all or always available at Staples
  • Mostly I want 8.5x11 sheets -- my printer is a Canon ip4600 so won't go larger
  • I am very happy with the results from my $65 Canon ip4600
  • Red-River says delivery in about 5 business days -- cam in 5 business days, one of which was a Canadian Stat Holiday
  • I very much liked the Ultra-Pro Gloss -- much nicer than anything I had tried before (Canon Gloss, Staples Premium Gloss)
  • I liked even better the Polar Gloss
  • I really liked the Polar Pearl Metallic but my wife didn't -- that's OK
  • I have not tried the others in the sampler kit -- I will
  • I will report back in 5 years on longevity
  • all my tests so far were a shot of a forested area with a beaver pond and fall leaves in Northern Ontario -- lots of different colours and textures
  • I don't know how good the Red-River ICC Profiles really are, but with the three papers I tried so far (with the associated profile for my printer) the colours were basically identical

Unless I find something unexpected in the next few months I will continue to work with these papers.

----
Dennis Smith.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Photo Paper -- my thoughts
                              Reply message RE: Photo Paper -- my thoughtsDennis

G