Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Coolscan Settings - Default + John Shaw

waj01

US
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
waj01 Registered since 11th Feb 2010
Thu 11-Feb-10 04:21 PM

Hi. I am a newbie. I had some health problems and am now finally getting to scanning (for archive purposes, I am not sure how large I want to print them) several hundred slides. I recently purchased a barely used CoolScan V for around twice what it sold for new (which seems to be the going rate).

I read my CS manuals, I did some on-line searching, read Wayne Fulton's excellent material, read the appropriate sections of Sascha Steinhoff's book. The only cropping I do for now is to crop out the black borders so the auto exposure works better.

I think I now have some understanding of the famous "Crop palette" and have 2 questions.

1. I am just using the factory default "Output size” and output "Resolution" of 4000 ppi. Is this OK for my purposes? (I can handle the large file sizes)

2. Does anyone recall the settings from the well-known John Shaw article? All links lead to the site where archived articles are no longer available

Thanks

G