Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Cheapo 13 X 19 printer?

Crabby Guy

Seal Beach, US
975 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Crabby Guy Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2004
Sun 01-Feb-09 06:23 PM | edited Sun 01-Feb-09 08:19 PM by Crabby Guy

What have I missed? (I haven't looked at Canon.)

- HP B8550. Four-color printer with OK inks that may be cheaper than others per print for consumables. (Actually has five cartridges including one of black ink for non-photo printing.) Seems to do a credible job on most color. B&W not so hot. (I worry about a driver for Windows 7, since HP has burned me in the past on no Vista drivers for a printer and a scanner. The current driver for Vista 64 is limited.) Only takes one kind of HP paper and only one generic ICC profile is supplied by HP. Available for $200 or less in US. Almost-new model. User reviews very positive (on Amazon.com, no one-star reviews, one two-star, and 19 four- or five-star).

- Epson R1400. Six-ink printer with good (but not wonderful) inks. Good job on color. B&W not so hot. Wider range of papers, etc., than HP 8550. $260 in US but refurbished-by-Epson under $200. Older model. Usser reviews maybe OK- (on Amazon, 11 one- and two-stars vs. 43 three- and four stars).

- Epson R1900. Six-color printer with great inks. (Actually there are eight cartridges, but one is glosser and there are two blacks, only one of which prints, depending on the paper.) Very good color images, although emphasis seems to be on making glossy photos (?). B&W not so hot without a gray cartridge. Current $150 rebate makes it available for about $300 in US. Maybe a year old. User reviews very mixed (on Amazon.com, 13 one- and two-star vs. 30 three- and four-star) with many recent complaints about defective ink cartridges that are not recognized by the printer, the amount and cost of ink and glosser used, and the responsiveness of Epson's tech service.

- HP B8850. Eight-ink printer tht is roughly the same quality as the machine that made our free prints last year (which impressed me). Very good inks. B&W good on most papers. Some grumbling out there about paper handling. Aggressive shopping shows it can be had for $400. (Needs a $100 rebate from HP, IMO.) Again, worries about future driver support for Windows 7 from HP. Maybe a year old. Perhaps out of my current budget. User reviews OK (on Amazon, three one- and two-star and 13 four- and five-star).

Adrian

Photography, though not an art form in itself, has the peculiar capacity to turn all of its subjects into works of art. Susan Sontag, On Photography, p. 149. 1977.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Cheapo 13 X 19 printer? - Used 2200
Reply message RE: Cheapo 13 X 19 printer?
Reply message HP B8550 for $170 USD delivered!
Reply message RE: HP B8550 for $170 USD delivered!
     Reply message RE: HP B8550 for $170 USD delivered!

G